New Book: "The Complete Guide to Mid-range Glazes" John Britt

Comments

mikpo said…
I haven't counted yet, but looks as if at least 1/2 recipes are for reduction firing. Hello????? Can't get away from reduction? Should we just stick some oily rags in our elec. kilns around 1950 deg F? If a potter has a gas kiln, he/she won't stop at 6; they'll go on to 9-10. Saving fuel? Propane price is plummeting from oversupply. Nat gas is still pretty cheap.

CONE 6 OXIDATION. That's where the future lies. Although,out here in the Bay Area, CA, where I'm temp. located, potters here still believe in cone 9-11 reduction in their ancient gas kilns.

Hey,congratulations, it's a beautiful book. A really useful piece of info: develop your base glazes first!

Thanks - hp
Anonymous said…
Got the book - it's great! I have lots of glaze books; this is among the top (Robin Hopper and Hans Coper level). Though I fire cone 6 electric, I enjoy reading about reduction as it gives a better general understanding of glazes. There are plenty of cone 6 neutral/electric glazes in the book (there are 400), along with giving a good basis of how to create my own and judge others. I've recommended it to several others already. Anyone expecting a glaze book tailored to only their needs should realize every glaze book is an aid to creating their own notebook. (One should also consider that cost may not be the sole factor in lower cone firing, less impact on the environment may be the consideration.) Everybody - buy the book! (Hope we do meet one day.) - naomi
John Britt said…
Hey Naomi, glad you like it. I may post this on the blog. Hope to meet you too.
Anonymous said…
Ha! Glad you like my post that well. I am enjoying your book. Anyone who hasn't understood specific gravity before will now, and the importance of glaze thickness, and just everything. I'm taking it in to work today to show Mark Derby (Derbypottery.com), where I make tile part-time. Hope my comment gets more buying your book - naomi
mikpo said…
It does seem I'm a little luke warm on the book. Not!!! It's a fantastic book, as would be expected from Britt. I do think cone 6 oxidation is at least one of the futures for potters. We fired this way in Asheville, for more than 10 years, and were really happy (eventually) for this. I do believe there's a divide between the oxiders and reducers, only because the development of great glazes whether reduction or oxidation, is such an arduous journey. It takes, perhaps, extreme devotion and exuberance. Look at Tom Turner's magical glazes. Enough said. JB's is truly a fantastic book to be highly recommended to all middle grounders. In my insignificant opinion.
John Britt said…
I am totally with you Henry. The book is about 70% dedicated to oxidation (at that is what I remember...may have to recount.) Electric oxidation is great it just takes a bit of effort to get what you want but it is totally possible and worth the effort!