RIP Tracy Dotson

Tracy Dotson's Postcards

Tracy Dotson has passed away. He will be missed.  Tracy was a good guy who helped a lot of potters in our area with kilns and general pottery stuff.

E.g.:Here is Tracy in his element!



Here is one he built for Yummy Mud Puddle:



Claudia writes:

"My work took a dramatic turn when Tracy Dotson of Penland built my first gas reduction kiln. When firing in my electric kiln I relied heavily upon the use of colored slips and layering of glazes in order to get the depth of color I wanted in my work. Now I find I can use those same techniques in addition to the flame of the fire to achieve even greater color variation in my surfaces. A black wax line drawn onto the bisque fired pots just before glazing adds definition. A variety of clay bodies allows me to have both a warm and cool palette of pots."


An who can forget the fish scale pottery he and Catherine (Cappy) made for many years!
ctd1.jpg

An of course his finest creation---- Day Dotson!!!!!

Day Dotson


We will miss you Tracy!!


Comments

cookingwithgas said…
Rip my friend.
I'm so sad that you have left us.
Many memories.
shane mickey said…
man, we lost a great one today..
Amy Waller said…
So sad to hear this. Miss you, Tracy.
Wow, super bummer, I loved that man.
angeline said…
Over many years vacationing on The Outer Banks of North Carolina, I purchased many of the fishtail pieces. We are now downsizing our home for a move to Florida, but all of his pieces will go with me. Thanks you Tracy Dotson for my beautiful pottery.
Sandy said…
So sorry to hear of Tarcy's passing. I have a cabinet full of his plates, bowl, mugs etc...that I purchased either in Crozet or Greenwood, Va over the years. Every year I would add to my collection. I google him every now and then to see if I can find more for sale but then ran into this post. He was a master craftsman and obviously well respected by his peers. Always enjoyed talking to he and his wife at the craft fairs.
Will treasure my pottery forever.
Unknown said…
Tracy had a huge impact on my life and my pottery. I'll forever miss him.