Friday, October 28, 2016
Residency opportunity at The Bascom in Highlands, North Carolina
Here are the details, from Frank Vickery:
Dave Drake Studio Barn Resident Artist Program 2017 Job Description
The Bascom strives to provide quality visual arts learning experiences, stimulating, inspirational and educational opportunities for all visitors, regardless of their age, economic background, education, and/or physical/mental ability. Candidates are required to pass a security background check before being hired.
To meet these goals, the Resident Artist will:
• Design lesson plans that reflect quality arts education and correlate with other Bascom ceramic programs
• Support critical aspects of education program planning through demonstrations, talks, lectures, etc.
• Manage all aspects of the studio, including, but not limited to:
o Load/unload kilns
o Mix glaze
o Creativity coach for Studio Members
o Organize/clean studio daily
o Make studio is equipped with wading, glaze cookies, Saggers for discarding glaze, kiln wash shelves and other duties as assigned by the Director
• $100 per week for 52 weeks for a total of $5200 for 20 hours a week of teaching
o additional teaching outside of the required 20 is $30 an hour, excluding ABA’s which are
$30 per session
• Studio manager 10 hours a week as needed. When not teaching or studio manager, Resident is expected to work on personal studio practice
• 1,000 lbs of clay per 6 months
• Option to purchase additional clay at wholesale cost through The Bascom
• Housing provided
Other General Responsibilities:
• Take photos and post to Facebook.
• Blog once a week, Bascom Life. Word Press
• Upload photos to our Instagram studio barn account
• Share Studio manager role with Director
• Studio Assistant for workshops as needed
• Act as Bascom Ambassador
• Create work for exhibition (must apply)
• Access to studio, equipment, and materials 24/7
• Personal work space
Sale of Works:
Works made on grounds using Bascom materials and equipment must first be sold through The Studio Barn at The Bascom. Works made on campus using equipment and materials are not allowed to be sold in other shops, galleries, store fronts within a 25 mile radius of The Bascom, excluding shows, craft fairs, and private showings. Use of a personal or business website to sell works must be approved by Director. Artist/Bascom Split is 60/40. Resident can apply to The Bascom for works to be sold through the Gift Shop.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
1. Cover letter describing your interest in the resident position and proposal of residency project
2. Artist Statement (less than 300 words)
3. Résumé or CV
4. 15-20 numbered high-resolution images (accepting jpg, tif, pdf on CD, email, or through
DropBox, Hightail, etc.*)
5. Image inventory (docx or pdf) with
6. 2 professional references with contact information.
Images may be sent separately. All other application materials should be included in one submission.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All residency candidates are subject to a background check.
Address Applications to:
323 Franklin Rd
Highlands, NC 28741
Questions? Contact Frank at firstname.lastname@example.org