Gray Museum, Tennessee




If anyone is headed north on 26 out of Johnson City TN, check out the Gray Museum. They have some amazing fossils that are totally unique to this area.

I am not an expert, but in a nutshell, about 4 years ago, they were building a highway and then stumbled across this clay deposit and some bones. They had to stop building the road, because you can't build a road over a clay pit, due to the excessive shrinkage and expansion of the ground. So they investigated the bones and found out that they were fossils of animals that fell into the pit and die many years ago.

It is an amazing place to find in Grey Tennessee! And some amazing fossils!


John Britt

www.johnbrittpottery.com

Comments

Kari Weaver said…
I've passed by the signs and keep meaning to take my kids up there. I think we have a day trip! Thanks for reminding me!