I love soda!

But not here:

I've got this oval serving dish out of my last firing that turned out great on the outside, but inside I've got a soda ash drip that has ruined the piece. It dropped down from the bottom of the shelf that was hanging above it during the firing. It's not fully melted and has open pinholes in it. I know I could refire the piece to melt it because I've done that before to cone 10 soda and it has worked. But I wonder if it would melt at an earlier temperature, at bisque temps? cone 6? Any thoughts?

Comments

John Britt said…
Joy,

I would try a bisque first as soda melts below 1800F, but you never know what it will look like.

Then I would try higher.

John
June Perry said…
Joy, if you want to bring it over to my studio, I have some diamond bits and foredom drill you can use to grind that off. Then you might be able to re-fire as is, or just add a bit more of your liner and re-fire.
Joy Tanner said…
June, Thanks for the idea,I have a dremel I could try out on it to smooth it out. Then I might try bisquing it first. I can always put it in my next small soda kiln load...just wondered when it melts....i knew I'd get answers from you two gurus! thanx!