Popping a Glaze

Comments

claystheway said…
I love getting the Clay Club blog even though I am thousands of miles away here in New England. John, your tips are so helpful. Can't wait to try popping next time I glaze. I've always done something similar but never knew it was called popping. Thanks!
Linda Starr said…
Another great demo video, thanks so much.
Ron said…
John I was hoping you'd do a bit of this at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDMADrm_W_U
John Britt said…
That guys is the head popper. Saw him on "So you Think you can Dance".
Jennifer said…
OMG! That is so cool! Thank you John!
Kyle Carpenter said…
YOure good at plunging toilets aren't you?
Emily Reason said…
Pop it like it's hot!
Unknown said…
Pop! Pop! Had to go with that because Emily had already took pop it like its hot.

But seriously amazing technique, going to try it out soon.
Patsi said…
So......if you want two coats of glaze, does it double pop?
Tks, Patsi
ceramicrat13 said…
John this is completely unrelated to this video, but I had to post somewhere! I have recently ...well for a year been having worsening pain in my lower back and leg and have been trying to throw standing up .. I see you do so I thought I would ask you about height of your wheel as I can not seem to get the hang of it! I have been trying just below navel height as suggested in articles from the studio potter but it is not going well. No one even know what is wrong so who know this may be a exercise in futility! It could be SI damage or sciatica or disk issues no answers. Throwing sitting didnt hurt but I am willing to try anything. thank you ahead of time!

Natalie Reed Goehl
John Britt said…
Natalie,

I would try to learn standing up anyway. No reason to hunch over! Just try different levels and see what is best. Try throwing a bunch 100 cups without worrying about saving them...just to get the feel. It takes a while but you get the feel you will not want to go back!
ceramicrat13 said…
I really appreciate it! I will I have it right at navel height it was supposed to be lower but my bat system is apparently really tall! I also have a stool for tall form but have not had luck there! I will throw 100 with the kids it'll take me 2 evenings but I will give it a throw!
John Britt said…
If I make tall stuff I lower the wheel.