Jenny Lou Sherburne - Informed Wildness - Crimson Laurel Gallery



"Ever time I make a piece, I try to further my skills as a potter. " That statement from Jenny pretty much sums up what she is about. A dedicated potter in every sense of the word. What strikes me most about Jenny's approach to the craft is her fearless nature, her use of color mixed with an unimaginable sense of detail, balance, and flat out skill.

Setting up a show for any artist requires trust from both the artist and the gallery owner. With Jenny, we had very little communication about what direction the show might take. We knew Jenny would wow us and that she did. New forms mixed with some of Jenny's classic forms make this a retrospective of where she has been but also where she might be heading. In total Jenny produced over a hundred pieces for this show ranging from 3" round plates to a 21" tall pitcher that pours out enough creativity to fill all our glasses. My favorites include the cordial tray (pictured) and the gravity defying goblets, some of which stand nearly 15" tall.




To learn more about Jenny Lou Sherburne I highly recommend reading Katey Schultz's "Informed Wildness" article in the December 2008 issue of Ceramic Arts and Perception. Katey was gracious enough to let us use the title of her article for our show. It was just too perfect. Thanks Katey! My all time favorite quote from the article, one that made me laugh out loud, was when Jenny stated, " Recently, I've started to invade the pots even more. I go in there and I know I'm doing something ornery." It doesn't get any better than that folks. http://katey.schultz.googlepages.com/

The reception date for this show is Saturday March 21st at 6:00 PM. For all those who have a chance to attend, please do, support of our artists this year is so vital. Come celebrate the art and this truly wonderful member of our mountain artist community.

David Trophia
Crimson Laurel Gallery
http://crimsonlaurelgallery.com/

Comments