New pot


Here's a pot out of the last firing and currently in the MudFire Gallery. This pot was made with Zella Stone, from Highwater Clays. It's covered with a Helmer Kaolin slip. The rim was waxed, and is simply bare clay. The black is comercial underglaze, Amaco LUG-1. The small little leaves are actually painted on commercial bright red underglaze, then outlined with the black. Not so red, but pretty friggin' nice, I think. This pot was raw glazed and single-fired to cone 10ish. Four pounds of salt put into the kiln starting at cone 7. Any questions?


Comments

Dan Finnegan said…
How 'mature' is your kiln...is it already pretty salty on it's own? It's a beauty!
Kyle Carpenter said…
Dan, it's pretty seasoned. 4 lbs of salt seems to give some really rich surfaces. I've been firing it since 2002, probably fired 60 times? I never started a firing count, so it's an estimate.
klineola said…
Looks like some of the red is there, in spots. Are you using the black on all of your pots? I like the textural contrasts between theraw clay and the matter tile 6 ares!
Clay Club said…
my question is, can I have this pot? - jk
Thanks for sharing your process. Do you leave the rim bare b/c another piece was staked on top in the firing?
Kyle Carpenter said…
I do use that black commercial underglaze on all of my pots. I leave the rim/neck bare simply to have a different surface. No stacking here. I typically don't want to see wadding marks on rims of vases. Looks weird to me.
Anonymous said…
Beautiful piece, everything flows so nicely, makes me yearn for a salt kiln.
sunslipceramics said…
I really like the effect. The wheat color and stems is striking against the color of the clay.

Very nice,

Sylvie Parisien