Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How Do You Move a Kiln?

I am running into a major snag finding anyone to insure my house with this kiln in it. I've got two agents trying to find insurance for me, and so far both have been unsuccessful. I wonder if the Cravens, who installed the gas kiln or the subsequent owners were up front with their insurance companies. I am so screwed on this one.

So I might have to move both kilns outside. Can anyone give me advice on what's involved?


Sarah-potterknitter said...

When i got insurance for the studio they didn't blink about the kiln even before I explained the setup. No idea if they do homeowners, but the company is Tapco through Fortner in Spruce Pine.

Newfoundout Potter said...

Hi - your kiln looks like a Bailey 24 cu ft model - same as the one we have at our guild. To get it through the door into our kiln shed and into position we borrowed a non-motorized forklift from our local grocery store and it was then easy to move it. It was the type they use to move large amounts of boxed cans etc.
I would ask Bailey's as well as they will have good ideas and they may recommend to pack the interior to protect the bricks from any shifting.

Kari Weaver Hopkins said...

It's an 18 cu ft Bailey, and I'm pretty sure I can get it throught the door with a forklift. I'm sure Bailey can tell me the specs for the pad.

Fortner is one of the companies trying to get a quote. Obviously, no one puts a kiln like this inside their house. It's the house that we can't get coverage for.

John Britt said...

I know it is a hassle, but I would probably just build a shed away from the house (preferably metal) which would be reasonably cheap considering you would then get that freed up space in your studio/house. You will have to pour a slab and run gas and electric which will cost a bit.

Then just rent a fork lift or a boom truck (I used Explosive Supply in Spruce Pine) and move the sucker.

It is probably safer for your family no more fumes or fire hazard.

I also may be cheaper in the long run that paying super high insurance rates??

Sorry, no easy answer.

Marian said...

To continue John's thought... and certainly cheaper than no insurance coverage for your house in the case of a disaster of some sort.

If you moved the kilns out of the house, wouldn't that make a sweet studio space! Put in some nice windows overlooking the garden. I'd love it.

Tracey Broome said...

I don't know how heavy your kiln is, but I rented a palette jack from a rental supply company for about $20 and moved mine (800 lbs) with just Gerry's help down a dirt hill from the driveway where the lame truck driver left it, to the back of my house. If the two of us could do that I'm sure you can move yours. We also built a very "rustic" cover for it ourselves, it's not a pro job by any means but it keeps the kiln dry and cost about $100 in materials. You can do it!! I think I would be worried constantly if my kiln was in the house. Plus it gets me outsice more :)

Tracey Broome said...

outside.... I really have to spell check before I send these things :)

Emily Reason said...

two words: Wedging Boy. They're capable of SO much more than just wedging

Kari Weaver Hopkins said...

I googled "wedging boy" and found this quote:

"some plate-makers even require their boys to what is called wedge their clay, which is a very laborious process, and consists in lifting large lumps of clays, and throwing them forcibly down on a hard surface, to free it from air and render it more compact. These boys are usually thin and pale, and frequently suffer from pulmonary and digestive diseases. Sickness prevails among them extensively."

Not sure he could help move a kiln...pity

Marian said...

I have a feeling that Emily's definition of wedging boy is vastly different from that one, Kari. Maybe more along the lines of "shirtless manservant."