wet clay




I've been decorating small cups and other pots that size for weeks now and I need a break! I decided to put away the brushes for a few days and make some pots. The first images is of some tankards that have been freshly slipped. The other is a 19" pot/vase/urn/whateva.


Here are some of the pots I've been decorating. These are slipped, lined with glaze, and now bone dry. They get painted with underglaze then scratched for an extra layer of detail. the bird cup is drawn with pencil, filled with underglaze, and then scratched for detail, all at the bone dry stage.


This one is a big ole pot that I will sure enjoy taking a paintbrush to in a few weeks. It's 26" tall, just short enough to fit in the Skutt 1227. I won't be once-firing this one like I do most of my work. I will slip the outside, but lining this puppy with glaze is another story at the leather hard stage. It's just too risky. 

And one last thing. I got a letter from Lark Books the other day, saying that I got two images in the upcoming  500 Vases book, juried by Julia Galloway. Should be coming out late summer 2010. Below are the ones that got in, I think. Okay, back to making pots, baby!



Comments

Kari Weaver said…
As hard as I think I work, I could never work as hard as you, Kyle. And I swear I saw a picture of you glazing some of Michael Kline's pots last week.
You set the bar pretty high. Could you teach a class on how to do it all?
Kyle Carpenter said…
i have high motivation due to the fact I'm an artist married to a school teacher with two children and a mortgage. i'm sure you can relate. Actually, being up there at Kline's studio made me want to get back on the wheel in a real hurry. Yes, I'm kind of a workaholic, but it seems you have to be these days to make a living as a studio potter. Okay, back to work. An hour left in the studio.