Mica’s Featured Artist for December

Mica, the members owned cooperative fine craft gallery in downtown Bakersville, NC., continues its monthly special “Featured Artist Spotlight” series exhibiting the work of its member artists.

In December, Mica’s final month of their season, the gallery features the work of clay artist Lisa Joerling. “It’s been nice,” she says,” twenty-five years of working in the studio and it still makes for my favorite kind of day. Even better are the days when I add in a walk and some time in my garden.”

Joerling’s work combines three personal pleasures: The earthenware clay she uses is rich, dark, and gritty, much like the color, texture, and feel of her gardening. The animals and critters she meets on a morning walk frequently become the subjects for that day's clay work. And finally, the amusement she finds in her muse, “Riffing off a punch line or aphorism leads me in determining which animal I will choose to play the lead role,” she tells us. “I hope my work will make you laugh or smile, much as it does for me.”

Mica showcases the craft work of its 15 artist-members including sculpture, glass, jewelry, fiber, wearables, painting, printmaking, and functional pottery. This extraordinary collection, enhanced by a yearlong rotation of featured artists and the welcoming and beautiful setting, make Mica a must-see destination for those who appreciate the hand made.
 
As a child Joerling was constantly drawing and sculpting. “In the early evenings I would make clay animals with my father at his desk, she remembers, “and in the morning I would hurry to his desk, often times delighted to discover that my father had continued with the animals after I had gone to bed.”

Mica is located at 37 Mitchell Ave, Bakersville, NC. Mica is open daily, Mondays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 12–5 p.m. For more information call 828.688.6422 or visit micagallerync.com. Follow the gallery on Facebook at Mica Gallery NC, or on Instagram at micagallerync.

Comments