Mica’s 10th Anniversary Season Springs Into April

Mica, the cooperative gallery in downtown Bakersville, NC, opens for its 10th Anniversary season on April 1st, 2021. The gallery, owned by the artists who exhibit their work, is a large, comfortable space following strict Covid safety procedures. Visitors to the gallery are asked to wear masks, maintain social distancing, and help Mica do our part in stopping the spread of the Covid virus.

New to the gallery this year is our latest member, Penland-based artist Vicki Essig. Essig’s studio work includes weaving and paper making. Her work is noted for its quiet, contemplative, and deliberate qualities. Her process incorporates found and ancient objects into visual compositions. She notes, “On my daily hikes my pockets gradually fill with artifacts and curiosities that I find along my path. These small treasures, often overlooked, are archived into my fine handwoven cloth. Many of my compositions incorporate nearly two-hundred year old manuscripts and texts. The fragments of this rag paper, with barely detectable messages, are hand woven into the silk cloth producing an intricate structure that weaves the past with the present. This ritual has lead me to pursue the spirituality of art, which is presented to me every day as I thread my loom, collect a dried pod, or work out a design. In viewing my work, I hope that, for at least a moment, you become lost in the discovery of the minute, the quiet of repetition, and the beauty of nature and pattern.”

In celebration of its 10th year, Mica will highlight each of its member-artists monthly with special featured exhibits. In April, our highlighted artist’s work will be the colorful pottery of Jenny Lou Sherburne in a collection of serving dishes and mix/match serving sets that she cleverly refers to as “To Serve, with Love.” 

In May, Terry Gess and Carmen Grier will share the special feature highlight.  Gess will present a selection of Mother’s Day gift-worthy pottery. He notes, “Spring is the potter’s season – all those flowers in the garden and all manner of vases for bringing them into the house.”

Grier will present a new series of small, oil and cold wax landscape paintings. “I never set out to paint a particular scene,” she says, “I let landscapes from everywhere inspire me. While each scene in this collection is unique, they also work together as family, The highlight of my day is working in my studio. I hope this joy is evident in my paintings.”
 
Mica is located at 37 Mitchell Ave, Bakersville, NC. Mica is open daily, Mondays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 12–5 p.m.
For more information call 828.688.6422 or visit micagallerync.com. Follow the gallery on Facebook at Mica Gallery NC, or on Instagram at micagallerync.

Comments