NOW HIRING CLAY CENTER STUDIO APPRENTICE!
The Village Potters in Asheville, NC is hiring a Studio Apprentice.
Review the job description below.
The Village Potters Clay Center Apprentice Position Description
The purpose of Studio Apprentice (SA) program at The Village Potters (TVP) is to provide a full mentoring experience to selected emerging potters that show promise as future professionals in ceramics. This program is designed to help SA develop excellent skills and nurture an original voice in clay. SA are trained in glaze experimentation and kiln loading/firing processes. SA will experience working in a gallery setting and sales, packaging and shipping of ceramics, gain knowledge of wholesale business, retail shows, and many other aspects of a ceramics studio, gallery, teaching center, and Independent Study & Mentoring program (ISM).
SA must have a passion for community. Our studio consists of very committed potters that work together to meet TVP’s mission of inspiring a passion for ceramic art and nurturing creative exploration through education, experience, relationships, and community.
Studio Assistant Responsibilities:
We require a one-year commitment that includes a minimum of 8-12 hours of work per week. However, there occasional events where all hands are on deck and you may be asked to work up to additional hours for TVP special events, workshops, etc.
Responsibilities and tasks vary with the changing daily operations of the Resident Potters’ studio, Teaching Center studio, and Independent Study & Mentoring studio. Each studio apprentice has a designated zone upkeep that rotates on a monthly basis and will be responsible for additional tasks as delegated. The tasks and zone work includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Kiln loading
- Cleaning of Resident studio, Teaching Center studio, and ISM studio
- Gallery sales and gallery cleaning
- Glaze mixing for the Teaching Center and ISM
- Assisting in group events (TVP events & workshops set up/breakdown)
- Reclaiming clay
- ISM assistance and evening hours oversight
- Assist instructors preparing for glazing days in Teaching Center
- Potential for administrative work and photography work based on skills and training
- Other assigned duties as needed
Some of the Many Benefits of a Studio Apprentice:
- Free entry into the Independent Study & Mentoring program
(includes mentorship, sales & marketing opportunities, master series workshop attendance, and more)
- Personal Designated work space and or shelving
- Access to studio Monday-Sunday, 6am - 12am
- Use of ISM wheels/equipment
- Access to firing in kilns (must pay TVP firing fees), access to glaze ingredients and mixing (TVP fees apply)
- Free Attendance to any one Teaching Center class at a given time that has an opening
- One-on-one training in all areas of working a professional pottery business
- Potential teaching and other money making opportunities
- Behind-the-scenes experience of a fully functioning premier clay center.
TO APPLY OR INQUIRE CONTACT: