Mica’s Featured Artist for November

Mica, the members owned cooperative fine craft gallery in downtown Bakersville, NC., continues its monthly special “Featured Artist Spotlight” series exhibiting the work of its member artists.

In November, the gallery features the work of its member, Teresa Pietsch. “My pottery reflects the cycles of life and growth.” she explains. “My inspiration comes from the colors and textures of the flora on hillsides, fields, and the sides of the road. I use colored clay slips on top of a red clay body to give an earthiness and life to my work. By firing my work in a soda kiln, I give a variation and richness to the finished forms.”

“I decorate each piece using a mono-print slip transfer method. I start by painting slip onto newsprint and then burnishing it onto the leather hard clay. When I peel away the newsprint the image has been transferred onto the clay. This creates a slight texture and adds an aspect of imperfection. I then embellish the image with slip dots or carved lines for another degree of texture and detail.”

Mica showcases the craft work of its 15 artist-members including sculpture, glass, jewelry, fiber, wearables, painting, printmaking, and functional pottery. This extraordinary collection, enhanced by a yearlong rotation of featured artists and the welcoming and beautiful setting, make Mica a must-see destination for those who appreciate the hand made.

Mica is located at 37 Mitchell Ave, Bakersville, NC. Mica is open daily, Mondays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 12–5 p.m. For more information call 828.688.6422 or visit micagallerync.com. Follow the gallery on Facebook at Mica Gallery NC, or on Instagram at micagallerync.

Comments