Opportunity to give to the greater community

 Community building and charity opportunity for potters to support. 


My name is Fallon Hyder, and I am a lover and advocate for the arts. During my first couple of years of undergrad, I took pottery courses and felt inspired and motivated to further use craft to serve the community. During my time there, I also helped plan for and see to fruition the “Empty Bowls” events held in town. I was told via the WNC Potters Facebook Page that you might be able to help me with a little project I am working on.


While a lot of things have changed over time, my interest in bridging the gap of craft & community together is still very evident in the work I do. I am so passionate about helping put pieces together for families in the community and celebrate local folks and local work. I am currently serving at the YMCA Youth Services Center off Merrimon Avenue as a Camp & After-School Site Director. During my time at the Y, I’ve served in several different capacities in the community to help meet basic needs. In amidst the pandemic, we’ve shifted our programming and how we serve. Coming out of the pandemic and into a “new normal,” we’re refocusing still. We are about to enter our community phase of our annual campaign to raise money to further take our programming and services to a higher level. Our Annual Campaign goes to support these focus areas:


Healthy food for those who are hungry

Reliable child care for parents who need to go to work

Nurturing spaces for kids to attend after-school

In person and virtual workouts to help people regain health after diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes

Outreach to seniors who are feeling isolated

Safe places for the community to come together

Opportunities for children to have the summer camp experience that might not get to

I was hoping to do something similar to what I’ve done in the past for Empty Bowls, where I get local ceramic artists to donate a piece of their work for a silent auction held here at our Youth Services Center and for the community to come and take part. 


Thank you so much!


If you would like to give, you can contact Fallon at fhyder@ymcawnc.onmicrosoft.com 

Comments