GOLD SHINO FIRING SCHEDULE

Hey Everyone, Sign-ups for the Gold shino firing is now closed. We got 15 replies. That means I can give everyone 1 full shelf = 12" x 12" x 5" high. You can map this out yourself on a table and be sure not to have things going over the edge of the kiln shelf otherwise all the work won't fit because you can't overhang everything when stacking. Basically, this means 12 -20 ea. small tea bowls or cups. Then remember that it has to be cone 10 clay, Helios porcelain or some porcelain for best results but you can also use white stoneware and the third choice would be dark stoneware but I don't recommend it. (It is too dark and doesn’t show the gold as well.) You must bisque fire your teabowls and cups prior to glazing. Because of conflicts with previous commitment this is the schedule: February 17- all work must be bisque fired. February 18-20 will be glazing at my studio depending on weather. I am trying to do it outside so unless there is a major snowstorm or hurricane we can probably do it because it is under a roof. But if you want to make your own glaze batches at home or at a Group studio then let me know and I will send the recipes and good combinations. February 22-24 (sometime in there) will be the firing depending on everything. February 26- 27 will be pick up of your work. I will make a video of the results and people can post their own images on the Blog. Disclaimer: never sure how things will turn out with these kind of firings as all potters know. But I will do my best and hopefully everyone will get something that is most excellent or maybe just ok.

Comments

Arthur Lee said…
Hi John,
Much as I'd like to, there's no way I can be with you for the workshop. However, I'd really like to have your handout of glaze recipes and good combinations. Would you be willing to post or pm them to me?
Many thanks!
John Britt said…
Pretty hard to do ...it is all here in a 52 page PDF...pretty complicated...https://johnbrittpottery.com/shop/gold-shino-experiments-in-iron-gold-and-iridescent-glazes/